Unsure of what God is calling you to do? Do you know you want to serve God in some way, but you’re not sure how? Are you between 15 and 23 years old? DiscoverU is for you!
DiscoverU was created by a team of youth and young adults who shared a deep desire to discern what God is doing in their lives. The team identified five key concepts that made previous experiences transformative:
1) People pushed and challenged them to step up and lead.
2) They were faithfully witnessed to by people with more life experience than them.
3) New experiences- they had to do something they’d not done before.
4) They had deep relationships with their peers where they could pray together.
5) The adults involved in these experiences were being real- they acknowledged their own struggles and challenges and invited young people to “do life” with them.
DiscoverU strives to include these five components into its week-long experience (July 22-27, 2018) where young people get the support, encouragement, and assistance from peers and adults as they discern God’s call in their lives.
DiscoverU allows participants to shadow real-life ministry leaders in a local setting. Young people are exposed to a variety of ministries, as well as varying types of leadership. Elders, deacons, and laity, serving in a variety of settings from the local church to community will help participants understand the depth and breadth of Christian service.
In the evenings, participants come together in small groups to pray and discuss their experiences shadowing ministry leaders, which helps them discern God’s calling. Participants are also exposed to college and seminary opportunities in addition to next steps for ordained ministry. It is our hope that DiscoverU gives young people the space to discern God’s calling and equip them by preparing them for their next steps in a lifetime of ministry.
To nominate a young person for DiscoverU contact: Shea James: firstname.lastname@example.org