The Local Church Self-Study is a tool designed to aid a church in better understanding where the congregation has been, where they are now, and where God is calling them to go as a ministry.
Churches of all sizes, types, locations, and styles can benefit from using this resource. We encourage you to make the investment in your ministry to gain a more complete picture of your history, your current situation, so that you are more equipped to discern God’s preferred future.
This process is intended for:
- Congregations who feel “stuck” – not sure what they need to do next.
- Leaders who are interested in a vision process for their church to discern where God is calling them.
- Churches where the community around them has changed and they are feeling called to do something new.
- Congregations wanting to start a new life cycle.
- Churches wanting to reach the ONE. (see Luke 15:3-7)
- Your church . . .
Many people in a congregation feel that they already know all about their church and their community. This tool is designed to give you a more comprehensive picture of both.
There are eight main steps in this process, we encourage you to complete each step as listed:
Step One – download the Word document HERE
Step Two – read through the entire document
Step Three – pray about who in your church should join you on this journey by being part of the team
Step Four – share with your church’s leadership team what you are embarking on with this tool—and why
Step Five – as a team, complete all sections of the document up through item #82 on page 17
Step Six – share all the information with your church’s leadership team, give them time to process, schedule a time together to discuss
Step Seven – meet with the church’s leaders and answer the questions on page 18
Step Eight – spend time in prayer and discernment on the next steps for your congregation, see page 19