- Purpose: Spiritual discernment and leadership for the Annual Conference
- To wrestle with critical issues that face our church and how they impact our ministry.
- To live out and implement the conference vision.
- To recommend conference vision and goals for adoption.
- To recommend modifications to the conference vision and goals.
- To develop strategies for implementation of the conference vision and goals.
- To assist in coordinating the program ministries of the Annual Conference through the office of connectional ministries.
- the chairperson from each ministry team and conference agency
- Bishop (with voice and no vote)
- all district superintendents of the Annual Conference
- Conference Secretary
- Conference Treasurer/Director of Administrative Services
- Director of Connectional Ministries
- President of the United Methodist Foundation
- members of the conference program ministries staff
- coordinators of VIM, Youth, Stewardship, Scouting, and Disaster Response
- Conference Secretary of Global Ministries
- members of the annual conference serving on General Boards and Agencies
- Conference Lay Leader
- Associate Conference Lay Leader(s)
- nine district lay representatives (chosen by the Cabinet)
- up to seven at-large members for inclusiveness
c. The leadership team of the Covenant Council shall include Convener (Associate Lay Leader): Kristi Wilkerson, Director of Connectional Ministries: Ken Krimmel, three additional members of the Council elected by the Council for the quadrennium: Thomasina Stewart, Jeff Matheny (laity), Krysta Rexroad-Wolfe, David Stilgenbauer (clergy). The leadership team will discern, coordinate, and develop the agenda, process, and work of the Covenant Council.
Excerpts from the 2017 Covenant Council report Kristi Wilkerson:
With leadership and guidance from Rev. Dr. Ken Krimmel, Director of Connectional Ministries, the Covenant Council conducted four meetings in 2016-2017. To begin the new quadrennium, a Leadership Training and Orientation was held in conjunction with the Bishop’s Summit on Diversity and Inclusion in September 2016.
The pre-summit training was well attended by Covenant Council membership and focused on leadership standards. Banners were created and displayed regarding the West Virginia Conference vision: “We are a Christ-led spiritual breath of fresh air that changes the world,” and mission to: “discover, develop and deploy passionate spiritual leaders who make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.”
The principles of loving, learning and leading were lifted up. At each meeting, the Council was updated on Flood Recovery throughout the West Virginia Conference since the June 2016 flood.