ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT POSITION
Under the supervision of the Potomac Highlands District Superintendent, the Administrative Assistant is a team player who works effectively to administer the office of the District Superintendent of the Potomac Highlands District. This person should be well-organized, efficient, honest and trustworthy. The assistant should be able to work independently with minimal direct supervision. This is a full-time, non-exempt position amenable to the employment policies and procedures of the West Virginia Annual Conference.
The qualifications for the Administrative Assistant of the Potomac Highlands District Office of the West Virginia United Methodist Church include the following:
- Personal integrity as evidenced by favorable background check and references.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with individuals and groups as demonstrated through effective verbal, written and computer/social media skills.
- Willingness to deal with conflict management and problem-solving, in consultation with the District Superintendent while maintaining confidentiality.
- Knowledge and willingness to learn the systems and operations of the District and Annual Conference.
- Knowledge of fundamental office and financial practices with experience including but not limited to:
- Accounting software
- Bank reconciliation
- Monthly accounting statements
- Appropriate basic accounting practices regarding the handling of funds.
- Basic word processing, spreadsheet, and email skills.
- Willingness to learn Conference database and District website software.
- Handle accounting needs for the office: check writing, voucher preparation, Superintendent’s reimbursement from the Conference and District, District promotional fund payments, the creation of regular financial statements, correspondence with the Conference Treasurer’s office etc.
- Answer and direct incoming phone calls.
- Create positive office atmosphere by providing appropriate hospitality.
- Prepare letters, newsletters, charge conference packets, clergy interview forms and all District Conference materials.
- Contact churches and clergy by telephone and email about various needs.
- Communicate information and materials for bi-annual Lay Servant training.
- Work with the District Superintendent to schedule meetings as necessary.
- Keep up to date filing systems: Charge Conferences, deeds, and potentially, clergy records.
- Update website and social media.
- Maintain the highest level of integrity when dealing with confidential information.
- Weekly office cleaning (empty garbage, run sweeper, dust, clean restroom)
- Occasional attendance at District events.
- Other duties as assigned by District Superintendent.
All interested applicants should complete the following by March 20th, 2020:
- Send resume to Rev. Scott Ferguson (97 Goldsborough Avenue Romney, WV 26757) or by e-mail to SFerguson@wvumc.org
- Provide 3 letters of reference.
- In a brief statement, share why you believe that you are the best candidate.