Local churches and districts are busily working on projects for the support of the 2023 Celebration of Mission Event (COME). Traditionally such events have been held on or near the last Saturday of April, but now they are scheduled over a variety of dates. The goal of the Conference-wide Celebration of Mission Event is to collect tangible goods and cash gifts to support ten West Virginia Conference Mission Ministries. The emphasis is widely supported by local churches and districts and normally raises a minimum total of $100,000.00 for the mission ministries, along with half that amount in donated goods. Following are some of the plans being implemented for the 2023 Celebration of Mission Event.
GREENBRIER WESLEYAN DISTRICT
Greenbrier Wesleyan District local church members are requested to pick a day on the calendar for the month of May (from 1-31) and donate the dollar amount for the number selected. The plan was chosen so that even children could select a lower number and participate in the support of the Conference Mission Ministries.
- The Greenbrier Wesleyan District is collecting tangible goods for The House of the Carpenter and Tyrand Cooperative Ministries.
LITTLE KANAWHA DISTRICT
Tangible goods collected by Little Kanawha District churches will be brought to Stout Memorial UMC in Parkersburg between 12:00 Noon and 2:00 PM on April 29.
- The Little Kanawha District is collecting tangible goods for the Upshur Parish House in Buckhannon and New Vision Depot in Beaver.
- There will be a Celebration of Mission Event Worship Service at Stout UMC at 2:00 PM on April 29. The Smith Family Singers will present both contemporary and gospel music at the worship.
- The worship service will be the first in-person Celebration of Mission Event since COVID.
- Little Kanawha has set a cash goal of $30,000 for the support of Celebration of Mission Event during 2023.
MonValley District pick-up days to collect tangible goods will be at Life UMC in Fairmont on April 29 and First UMC in Elkins on May 6 from 10:00 AM-Noon at each location.
- The MonValley District is collecting tangible goods for Tyrand Cooperative Ministries in Mill Creek and Heart and Hand House in Philippi, as well as promoting support for Volunteers in Mission.
- Each cooperative parish in the district is requested to hold a Corn Hole Tournament, with the parish winners competing in a District Tournament at District Conference on May 21.
- The MonValley District is also challenging the other six districts to a Corn Hole Tournament at Annual Conference.
The Northern District is planning Celebration of Mission Event Rallies at two locations on May 13: New Martinsville UMC at 10:00 AM and First UMC in Clarksburg at 2:00 PM.
- There will be a Corn Hole Tournament at each of the locations. Jake Steele will coordinate the tournament at New Martinsville and Michael Atkinson will be the tournament coordinator at Clarksburg.
- Tangible goods collected by local churches and cash gifts are to be brought to either of the locations. The Northern District is collecting such goods for Ebenezer Community Outreach Center in Huntington and Heart+Hand Outreach Ministries in South Charleston.
- Representatives from the two mission projects assigned to the Northern District will be present at each location to tell the story of their ministries and to transport the tangible goods collected back to their missions.
- Each local church has been requested to hold at least one fund-raising project during the calendar year. Duff Street UMC in Clarksburg recently raised in excess of $1,000 for Celebration of Mission Event with a Ham and Bean Dinner. Vincent Memorial UMC in Nutter Fort is sharing the funds raised in their Church Rummage Sale with Celebration of Mission Event.
NINE RIVERS DISTRICT
The Nine Rivers District will collect tangible goods for Heart and Hand House in Philippi and Upshur Parish House in Buckhannon at the District Conference at Winfield UMC from 3:00-5:00 PM on May 7.
- The district has produced a really neat-looking poster to promote Celebration of Mission Event and the District Event.
- Thus far we know that at least one church – Beverly Hills UMC in Huntington – will have a soup and sandwich lunch to support Celebration of Mission Event.
- District Celebration of Mission Event Coordinator Jane Morse has already hand-made a number of layette items ready to be donated at the District Celebration of Mission Event on May 7 (see below).
POTOMAC HIGHLANDS DISTRICT
The local churches in the Potomac Highlands District are collecting tangible items for Greater Clarksburg Parish Church and Community Ministry and the New Vision Depot located in Beaver.
- Local churches were asked to collect coins during Lent to support Celebration of Mission Event.
The Southern District is collecting tangible items for Scott’s Run Settlement House in Osage and The House of the Carpenter in Wheeling, as well as promoting support for Volunteers in Mission.
- The Southern District is planning a Corn Hole Tournament at a date to be announced.
Additional information is included in the Celebration of Mission Event Booklet, which can be located on the Conference and District Websites. You may also contact the Conference Celebration of Mission Event Coordinator, Rev. Cliff Schell, at email@example.com or304-842-4492.