The West Virginia Conference of The United Methodist Church seeks a campus pastor to serve as the Director of Campus Ministry at West Liberty University (WLU) near Wheeling, WV.
The Campus Ministry at WLU develops student leaders, engages students through missions, celebrates community, and grows disciples of Jesus Christ by creating safe spaces for students to explore faith.
The campus pastor reports to the Board of Higher Education of the West Virginia Conference and partners with the Protestant Ministry Committee Board. In addition, the campus pastor integrates into campus life to connect with students of various backgrounds. They cast a vision for the ministry, develop relationships with local churches and donors, and help students discern God’s call.
A successful candidate is a creative, hard-working, flexible, and organized person willing to be present on campus to foster meaningful relationships with students, faculty, and staff. The campus pastor works with a part-time administrative assistant and student leaders; therefore, they need to initiate, plan, and follow through with programs, reports, and tasks with minimal supervision.
- Lead regular programming such as Bible study, worship, small groups
- Participate in monthly Campus Pastor meetings via zoom
- Generate reports for the PMC Board, the Board of Higher Education of the West Virginia Conference, and the Westminster Foundation
- Offer pastoral care/counseling to students
- Collaborate with other campus organizations
- Build and maintain relationships with local churches
- Work with the Protestant Ministry Committee Board to raise financial support
- Able to work proactively and independently
- Able to manage multiple tasks and prioritize time reflecting job duties and program goals
- Self-motivated, having a strong work ethic
- Compassionate and able to listen to those having different viewpoints
- Available to work during times when students are available
- Counseling/mentoring experience
- Open to people from every walk of life, varying levels of faith commitment, and political and social beliefs spanning a broad spectrum
- Administrative and fundraising experience
- Experience working with, leading, and empowering teams of students
- A disciple of Jesus Christ (preferably a member of The United Methodist Church)
- Bachelor’s Degree in an area such as Religion, Education, or Counseling (Masters degree preferred)
- A passion for campus ministry
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A willingness to adapt to changing realities in the church and community
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter, current resume, and references with contact information, to Rev. Shea James, Director of Young Disciples and Outdoor Ministries, at email@example.com. The cover letter should include your philosophy of campus ministry and why you are interested in this position.
Resumes will be reviewed beginning June 7th and the position will remain open until a candidate is found. The goal is to have a campus pastor in place no later than August 1st.
For more information: For a complete job description, or if you have any questions about this opening, please contact Rev. Shea James at firstname.lastname@example.org.