With God’s help, as I listen, learn, and participate in Annual Conference business and worship, I will do my best to:
Listen with respect:
- Listen for understanding, being open to God’s leading.
- Listen with curiosity and compassion, especially when another is sharing something difficult for me to hear.
- If I find others (or myself) “disagreeable”—I will turn to wonder, asking myself deeper questions of what might have led to their perspective?
Speak with respect:
- Speak for myself (using “I” language) and focus on the question or issue at hand.
- Speak in a way that invites conversation.
- Hold myself and others accountable for demeaning or hateful speech, refusing to tolerate such speech that negates God’s love for all.
- Help silenced or neglected voices be heard with respect.
- Be gentle with myself and others; being mindful of wellbeing and emotions when conversations are difficult.