The chartered bus will leave from Charleston early in the morning on Tuesday, April 3rd and will stop in Bruceton Mills, WV to pick up northern West Virginia Conference participants. Cost is $50/person. Includes hotel accommodations (2 person occupancy) a t-shirt and charter bus transportation.
ABOUT THE RALLY
Fifty Years ago, April 4, 1968, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated. His voice may have been silenced, but we are carrying on his noble work. To advance our commitment to this purpose, we will travel to Washington, DC to participate in the ACT Now: Unite to End Racism rally. For details about the rally, see www.rally2endracism.org. This event was organized by the National Council of Churches and a large number of ecumenical partners including The United Methodist Church.
Here are the key details that you need to know about:
- We will board the bus at the Charleston Capitol Hotel 1000 Washington Street East in Charleston, WV at 3:00 AM on Tuesday, April 3, 2018. Parking will be available in a section of the parking lot bordering John C. Norman Street.
- We will participate in the United Methodist Prayer Witness on Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 2:00 PM on the steps of The United Methodist Building on Capitol Hill. Our prayer time will be led by Bishop Ough and the Council of Bishops of The United Methodist Church. All are welcome!
- We will be the guests of Ebenezer United Methodist Church for our evening meal. Ebenezer UMC is a historic African American church celebrating 180 of ministry in the Capitol Hill District of Washington, DC.
- We will attend an Ecumenical Worship Service at St. Sophia’s Greek Orthodox Cathedral at 6:00 PM on April 3rd. The moderator and the general secretary of the World Council of Churches will be among our distinguished guests.
- We will participate in a Silent March from the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial on Wednesday, April 4th beginning at 7:00 AM. The Silent March, led by a single drummer, will depart from the MLK Memorial on the Tidal Basin and conclude at the National Mall where there will be an interfaith service and the main rally. At the main rally speakers include: Bishop Vashti McKenzie, Rabbi Jonah Pesner, Jennifer Harvey, Bishop Darin Moore, Rev. Freddie Haynes, Danny Glover, Esther Lopez, Bishop Elizabeth Eaton, DeRay McKesson, Bishop Michael Curry, Phil Lee, Bishop Teresa Jefferson-Snorton, Rev. Jim Wallis, Lou Gossett, Jr., Rabbi David Saperstein, Christie Duncan-Tessmer, and many others. Ben & Jerry will be present and will bring ice cream.
- We will leave the rally at 4:00 PM to return to Charleston, WV. Expect to arrive in Charleston at 11:00 PM.
The registration fee for this event is $50. This registration fee grants you bus transportation, hotel lodging, an event t-shirt, and refreshments on the bus. Please note that not all meals are included in the registration fee; therefore, you should be prepared to purchase some meals during the trip. We have secured a block of rooms for our group at a hotel in the Washington, DC area. All hotel rooms will be double occupancy; therefore, you will have a roommate. The minimum age for participating in this trip is 18. For the low cost of $50, all you have to do is register and get on the bus!
This event is offered at this low cost as a result of help from the West Virginia Council of Churches and the generosity of several teams and committees of the West Virginia Conference of The United Methodist Church including the Commission on Religion and Race, the Justice and Advocacy Committee, the Ethnic Local Church Concerns Committee, the Commission on Native American Ministries, and Young Adult Ministries.
A limited number of scholarships are available on a first-come-first-served basis. Participants who are unable to pay the registration fee should request a scholarship on the registration page, select “pay by check” on the registration page, AND call or email Angela Jones (304-344-8331, ext. 39 or firstname.lastname@example.org).